Breast cancer has been a huge part of my life. Not because I was diagnosed, but because my mother is a breast cancer survivor of twenty years. October is breast cancer awareness month so I thought it only fitting to share a few reminders about checking yourself for any signs and symptoms.
Here are some things you can do to prevent the risk of breast cancer:
- Stay active
- Don’t smoke
- Eat properly
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Limit your alcohol consumption
- Breastfeed if possible
- Get to know your normal breasts so you know what something abnormal might feel like
- Do a self-breast examination on yourself monthly- lean over, lay back and examine all parts of your breast
- Talk to your doctor about what age you should start getting mammograms
For more information on breast cancer or taking preventative measures visit breastcancer.org.